[Tfug] Cross-platform user-mode virus detected "in the wild"

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Mon May 8 12:12:25 MST 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 10:23, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

> ------- Included Stuff Follows -------
>
> You have just received the Amish virus.
>
> Since we have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system.
>
> Please forward this message to everyone in your address book, then delete
all
> of your files on your hard drive.
>
> We thank thee.
>
> --------- Included Stuff Ends ---------

Bah... Don;t blame the poor Amish, it's quite apparent they are just being
joe-jobbed here. They don;t have any electricity or computers... how could
they have sent an email?!?

Everyone knows this is just one of the many cloaks of the new self-morphing
version of the age-old UNIX virus. How long will the world of suffer under
its terrible toll.

 - YOU HAVE NOW RECEIVED THE UNIX VIRUS -

This virus works on the honor system:

If you're running a variant of unix or linux, please forward
this message to everyone you know and delete a bunch of your
files at random.

Crap... I just infected myself again... Well, I've covered the propogation
portion. I guess I will rm -rf /usr/lib and see what happens.

Adrian