[Tfug] Thinkpad passwords and loading Linux

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 19:04:26 MST 2006

--- JD Rogers <jdrogers at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> > Anybody have any comments? Know of some
> work-arounds. Or are used thinkpads on
> > ebay all stolen?
>
> I've not heard of issues with this password problem.
> I would expect
> that (like desktops) there is a jumper or so that
> would allow you to
> reset any bios passwds.

Yes, but on many thinkpads getting to the jumper
(DIP switch, often) requires a fair bit of
surgery.  Unless you are comfortable taking apart
things with lots of plastic fasteners (that like
to BREAK if not coerced properly), you won't
like this option...

> Worst case, I imagine you
> can take out the
> main battery and cmos battery for a day or so and
> the bios will reset.

On many TP's the CMOS battery is also quite
inaccessible.  Some embed it in the *keyboard*
assembly (I've broken one keyboard while
replacing a CMOS battery -- stupid design!)

> As far as a hard disk passwd, that would sound like
> encryption in
> which case not knowing the passwd just means you can
> get at the data,
> but you would be able to format and start fresh.
> Again, I'm only
> guessing here as I haven't seen or heard of this
> issue until now.

Hard disk password is reset when you clear it.
Which renders the contents of the disk trash
(no big deal if you plan on installing from scratch)

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2576396