[Tfug] dumping physical memory

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu May 4 15:27:15 MST 2006

Anyone dump their physical (volatile) memory to disk for review/diagnostics
lately??? I use to due it from time to time to retrieve data when an
application crashed or when I diagnosed a single bit memory error that was
crashing my laptop... But something in the kernel appears to have changed!

I can no longer due a dd if=/dev/mem of=/tmp/mem_dump.raw. Instead, it dies at
1M (of my 1G of memory) with a read error. Likewise, /proc/kcore refuses to
allow me to read the core at all (yes, I have chanegd permissions). Any ideas
when/what changed this???

Adrian