[Tfug] iPod Replacement

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed May 3 12:46:49 MST 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:54:48AM -0700, sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
> Been watching this with minor interest, and to honest, I still
> wonder why anyone would consider using an ipod thingy,
> esp. considering this is TFUG. ipods thingys are trendy rather than
> cool.

I did a fair amount of research before deciding on an iPod Nano for
myself.  I don't recall all the reasons that I went with the Nano but
a few stand out.  First, the physical size:capacity ratio.  I wanted
something that I could run with (read flash memory), small, and
relatively high capacity.  Second, the popularity of the iPod
basically guarantees that it will be well supported under Linux for
very long time.  (Since all I have is my Linux box and I tend to hold
onto such purchases for quite some time, I want to know that it'll
continue to work.)

I didn't really compare on price and others may find that different
players meet their needs just fine.  If I was going for a higher
capacity player, I might go with something else; I don't know.  But
the Nano has met my needs just fine.

For what it's worth,

Claude