[Tfug] iPod Replacement

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Wed May 3 10:55:15 MST 2006

My first recommendation to anyone who has an iPod is to buy a carry
case, or wallet for it.  These things are fragile, and even a small
amount of extra protection will extend the longevity of your iPod,
particularly if you use it during physical activity.  Despite this, my
over-priced, over-trendy iPod continues to be dependable and enjoyable
after thousands of hours of use.  You have to credit Apple with designing
a beautiful, easy-to-use, and reliable device.

There are certainly more options for portable digital audio/media players
every day, and some of them are actually quite good.  For example, the
same week I bought my iPod, a friend bought a Cowon ( from IAudio ) for
half the price of what I paid, and it came with envy-filling features that
the my iPod lacked such as a radio tuner, mp3 encoder, and built-in
microphone.  A competetive market is a good thing for the consumer. As
time goes on you can be sure that Apple will have to do more than rely on
image-appeal and reputation in order to keep its dominance in the player
market. OTOH, Apple's attempt to parlay the iPod success into something
much more lucrative ( iTunes ), might mean that they won't need to.

--
Rob