[Tfug] iPod Replacement

Shawn Nock nock at email.arizona.edu
Wed May 3 10:44:41 MST 2006

Matt Jacob wrote:
> Apple makes some very well-designed products that also happen to be
> the best at what they do.
I track you on 'well-designed'... They are kind of pretty, but...

There are players that play longer
There are players that play more things
There are players that have more storage
There are players that are more durable
There are players that don't require a broken/hidden file tree (or
proprietary software)
There are players that are more serviceable and upgradeable
There are players that are cheaper (price performance ratio is higher if
there are those that object to 'cheap')
There are players that have better available on-board software

The fact is most players on the market hold several of these advantages
over the iPod

You have a tough fight for 'best at what they do'...
In fact it is a hard fight for the iPod to be called 'good among its
peers'...
The more attainable claims are 'good enough for what I do' / 'popular'
or 'well-supported' / 'easiest to use' / 'priciest'

> The iPod isn't the top-selling portable
> music player for no reason, you know.
Hype counts as a reason right?
> I've tried other music players
> by Creative and Samsung, but I always go back to my iPod.

Samsung was the company convicted of unfair business practices w/ apple
right RE: flash memory sales for the Nano? Not much of an impetus to
produce a decent competing product. As for Creative... I distrust any
company that markets its products with 'professional gamer' endorsements
(Yes, I know it's not their mp3 player division, but still.... ugggh!)

That being said, I bought two ipods... a 2nd gen 10G when they first
came out (this was a mistake... for reasoning see above; sold it after
two months at a good loss) and a 6G mini for my sister's birthday two
years ago. Why make the same mistake twice? Because teenaged girls don't
care about value or features... She wanted the hype, bling, iPod
lifestyle to fit in with the rest of her friends. Plus she can operate
the iPod by asking the guy down the street for help. Long story short,
my past experience / disgust with the hype marketing / lies are no match
for my kid sister's pleadings and the 'being cool' arms race.

Look around, there are better options at all fronts... You like the
iPod. We get it, please stop hype advertising for Apple with wildly
generic and inaccurate claims. It painful enough to sell out for family...

Shawn

--
Shawn Nock (OpenPGP: 0xEF9B08E7)
Broadcast Engineer; KUAT Communications Group