[Tfug] Microsoftware wars on my computer

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 16:59:34 MST 2006

Ubuntu should take care of this $%*$%! that the Vista bootloader is causing
you - when you format the hard drive, it should disappear.

Let us know how it works out - and thanks for the Vista update...I was going
to test the beta out at work

-Chris

On 6/16/06, sitkaa at email.arizona.edu <sitkaa at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> It looks like I am gonna be paying alot more attention to this board for
> awhile.
>

> Two days ago I followed Microsoft's recommendation, and updated
> everything,
> installed their newest, latest and greatest whatsits. Among them was MS
> Vista.
>
> My recommendation for anyone thinking of upgrading is: DON'T!!! Vista
> works very
> poorly, conveniently deleting competitive non-M$ program files (oops, it
> is a
> beta, you know), and generally not working worth a flip. Whatever security
> reasons there are to upgrade, I cannot imagine them being worth the
> problems
> that program incurs.
>
> Vista alters the hard disk's Master Boot Record, making it very hard to
> remove.
> I had not the expertise to remove it myself, and couldn't figure out how
> to do
> a rollback to XP. Nor did I have the patience to spend days, weeks trying
> figure it out. I went out and bought another (blank, unformatted) hard
> drive,
> set it as the primary, and have been reloading most of my old programs
> back on.
> It has been an incredible excuse to clean up the system, update the
> drivers,
> etc. That was all day yesterday. Thank you, Microsoft.
>
> At this point, I don't care what it takes. I am migrating to something,
> anything
> else.
>

> So I have two hard drives. The first is set up with XP and several years
> worth
> of associated files and whatnots.
>
> The second disk is gonna be blank, as soon as I figure out how to delete
> all the
> Microsoft files that Microsoft is not allowing me to delete (I don't have
> enough
> privaleges to remove them from my old hard drive - I hope reformatting it
> will
> satisfy care of the need for privelges). The second drive is also
> formatted
> with the newer Vista Master Boot Record, which apparently can be a nasty
> cur to
> work with. I would like to use this disk for linux programs.
>
> So I downloaded and wrote an ISO of Ubuntu (it looks like a good place for
> noobe
> to start), just to check it out, see if I can run the program. Well it
> turns
> out, I can't. When I reboot to this disk, my monitor comes up with an
> error
> that says, in effect, it can't read the video signal. I suppose it could
> be the
> video card or the monitor.
>

> Too sum:
>
> Is the Vista Master Boot Record gonna be problem in converting the second
> [...]

Chris Robbins
Dept. of English Technical Support
http://www.homerengineeringcorp.net