[Tfug] Ubuntu 6.06

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at cinlug.org
Fri Jun 2 17:47:05 MST 2006

Gordon Zaft wrote:

>  I just pulled it down via the Torrent last night.
>
>  I'm curious about comparisons between the server
> version and CentOS.

I haven't tried the server version of Dapper/6.06 yet but unless it's
changed drastically from 5.10 I doubt I'll be impressed.   Their earlier
server versions seemed too desktop-y to me.  They installed a minimal
set of packages, but included some unnecessary things like ALSA (I don't
typically have a sound card in a server) and left out things like SSH
and an MTA if I remember correctly.

I'm quite impressed with the Ubuntu desktop though.

For servers, I typically run standard Debian.