[Tfug] Xinetd/vsftpd connection problem

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Mon Jul 10 12:46:33 MST 2006

OK, I'm having a weird problem with vsftpd that is making me tear my hair
out... I can not get external connections to work. I set up vsftpd and
updated xinetd appropriately. Restarted the service and am able to connect to
the server just fine from another machine on the internal network... but
connections to the server from an external IP address do not work!

This machine sits behind a DSL modem doing NAT, it has no external IP address,
no firewall settings, but knows the external route (several ports are
forwarded to it, currently hosting HTTP and SSH just fine). As I said,
internal IPs work just fine, trying from an external IP, I see the SYN
packet, but no response is ever sent. It looks like xinetd isn't even
starting the vsftd process to handle the incoming connection (though it does
for an internal IP). There are no exceptions or restrictions in my
xinetd.conf file. I have this exact same setup on another machine, the only
difference being it has separate internal and external interfaces (and a
firewall), with the same configuration and it has always worked fine... Any
idea what I am missing?

xinetd.conf
#
# Simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST
        cps                     = 25 30
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d

xinetd.d/vsftpd
# default: off
#       normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
service ftp
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
        nice                    = 10
}

vsftpd.conf (comment lines snipped)
# Example config file /etc/vsftpd.conf