[Tfug] airport WiFi

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Mon Jul 3 14:34:04 MST 2006

As a side note, does anyone know of a good UDP or ICMP tunneling program for
setting up ad-hoc tunnels when out and about? I am looking for something to
make a connection from where-ever I am back to my server for the purpose of
tunneling GP traffic. For instance, most airport WiFi's block TCP traffic
until you agree to their terms.. but even after agreeing, most do not let you
use all protocols. Not a terribly bad start of an idea to block spam/virus
flooding/etc., but many, like Phoenix (who has a completely free WiFi in each
terminal), completely block everything TCP but HTTP/HTTPS, which means no SSH
and such. Kind of hard to work on the road in that case...

I have looked at a couple things, but nothing that exactly fits my needs. I
may just write a custom program hooked to the vtun interface (with a iptable
rules creating a loopback thru the tunnel), like one example I found:
http://www.linuxexposed.com/content/view/153/52/

Ideally it would be able to switch between UDP and ICMP wrappers, offer some
identification/authorization, and encrypt tunneled data.

Adrian