[Tfug] Fraudulent airport WiFi

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Mon Jul 3 14:18:30 MST 2006

On Monday 03 July 2006 13:50, Harry McGregor wrote:
> Not to take away from the sinister aspects...
>
> IIRC some versions of Windows will automatically setup an Ad-Hoc network
> with the SSID of it's primary AP based network.  I could be wrong, but I
> remember coming across it before.
>
> If course the Mac ranges being out of spec is a little bit of a tip off...

Yeah... it was also a bit of a tip-off as they were "new" access points... I
have been thru this particular airport 3 times in the last month or so, each
time waiting in the same area, so I knew what "should" be there. I was also
going to say that the last MAC, FA:CC:1D:44:C5:1E, was not only unassigned,
but also invalid as it was a group address, not a host address. But I caught
my mistake right before sending. Apparently I have forgotten how to convert
hex to bin and identify a LSb... even while using kCalc to do it for me.

Adrian