[Tfug] printer/file server

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:53:15 MST 2006

On 2/28/06, Earl <earljviolet at juno.com> wrote:

> I am still pretty new to linux and am trying to figure out what some of
> the programs are about. I have a computer running Windows that I use for
> sharing a printer and files. I would like to switch to linux. I think I
> should be looking at SAMBA, right?
>
> Earl

It wouldn't be a problem to share the printer via Samba and have the linux
machine connect to it.  While I haven't had time to master samba shares and
printing, we've done it before at work with ease.  Depends on the distro you
use too - with SuSE, setting up samba shared drives at home for all of my
music (still working on the %*^&$@ printer) was really easy.  I dropped into
YaST and configured Samba services on my machine at home.  At work we've
done it with Debian and it works flawlessly.

A few links -

http://us5.samba.org/samba/  -> Official Samba site

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/340 -> A Debian/Samba howto
(may be older)