[Tfug] Kubuntu hardware update

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Sun Feb 26 19:43:37 MST 2006

I changed to a higher resolution monitor and added a soundcard to my Kub=
untu machine. Now I want to update the configuration changes. I went to =
the Ubuntu website and got this information:

How do I rerun hardware detection (prob/probing/re-probe)? =

During second stage install Ubuntu probes your hardware and sets up X. I=
f you change your Video Card, Sound Card or even Monitor, you may need t=
o redo this. =

This can be done with:- 'apt-get --purge remove xserver-xfree86'

I read the apt manual and, as I understand it, this will remove xserver =
and the configuration files. I'm not sure though what will happen when I=
 do this. Should I get them back again somehow?

Earl