[Tfug] Battery replacement

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 09:29:29 MST 2006

Hi,

> Shouldn't be a problem - they're usually watch
> batteries that you can pick up relatively cheaply
> almost anywhere.

Usually a 2035 -- about the size of a nickel (?).
Other sizes may be used (the "20" indicates the
diameter in mm).

> They're really easy to replace - pop
> out the old one and insert a new one.

That can't be stressed enough -- they are EASY
to replace.  So, if yours doesn't come out of
it's holder *willingly*, you are doing something
wrong.  If so, look carefully at how the holder
is designed to see what magic is required.
If you *force* it and BREAK it, you will be
unhappy.  :-(

> I don't
> remember what kind of watch
> battery you'll need (the size/type escapes me), but
> you could always take
> the old one out and take it to the store with
> you....
>
> I don't think it'd be a good idea to do it while the
> motherboard is on -
> I've always had teh power off (safety?) when I've

Most RTC designs hide the "battery" behind a diode
or FET switch.  So, the clock will continue to run
while the battery is removed (if power is present).
But, it is *so* dry here that you run the risk of
generating static electric discharge and cooking
something (even if you don't "feel" the static
"spark", the electronics can).  So, save yourself
the hassle... power it down, discharge yourself
(to the grounded case) and then change the battery.

> done it.  Maybe someone
> else could shed some light about that..
>
> -Chris
>
> On 2/22/06, erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have an old Dell pentium 120 machine that's
> losing time. In other
> > words, the battery that holds the CMOS memory
> trace is weakening
> > to the point that the hardware clock slips counts
> when the machine
> > is powered off.

Does it only lose time when powered off?  Many
machines lose time when *running* (poor interrupt
response so the time IRQ gets lost).  Notorious
among Sun machines, etc.