[Tfug] More Questions on KDE

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Feb 15 10:32:47 MST 2006

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 22:15, Earl wrote:
> Sorry, that was really DUH!!!
>
> I am running KUBUNTU 5.10. The firefox version is 1.0.7. I have
connectivity. Konqueror is connecting and opening webpages with no problem.
Firefox won't open anything.

> Earl
>
> -- Robert Hunter <bobjim.hunter at gmail.com> wrote:
> What distribution/version are you running?
>
> Have you verified network connectivity?  ( i.e what exactly do you
> mean by "Konqueror works"? )
>
> Maybe the output of strace will be helpful.  ( i.e. try launching
> firefox from a terminal with the following command ).
>
> strace firefox 2>firefox.trace

As opposed to a strace... a tcpdump when you open and try to go to a page in
FF would probably be far more useful. It will show any traffic output by FF
onto the network.

Let me take a wild guess... your on Qwest DSL right? They gave you a little
white external DSL modem box right? The problem isn;t FF persay, it is the
DSL modem Qwest gave you! In the default configuration, FF 1.0.6+ (I think,
as well as several other apps) try to do an IPv6 DNS query for domains in
addition to a IPv4 query... That little white DSL modem Qwest gave you barfs
on the IPv6 and then always replies with a 1.0.0.0 address as the DNS
response. FF then tries to go to 1.0.0.0, the address the Qwest box gave it,
and never gets a response...

Adrian