[Tfug] OOCalc opens OOWriter [Solution]

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Mon Feb 13 14:40:21 MST 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:18:29AM -0700, Adrian wrote:
> On Sunday 12 February 2006 20:47, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> [snip]
> > But it turns out that the OOo developers are craftier
> > than that.  I just tried opening a plain text file (with no extension)
> > from *within* OOCalc.  It still opens the file in OOWriter.  So if
> > this behavior is to be fixed, it seems that it's got to be from within
> > the OOo suite.
> >

> This "smart than thou" is one one the things that has really pissed
> me off in OO and unfortunately there doesn;t seem to be any way of
> changing the behavior. I have been fighting with this for many
> months without finding a good solution (same with OOCalcs behaviors
> of changing/reformating data). As you said, regardless of what app
> you use to do the open, it will open a corresponding app based on
> the file extension and content rather than what you commanded.

I submitted a bug report to the OOo guys and got a somewhat convoluted
solution back.  Open the File Open dialogue.  Select/highlight your
file (e.g., "foo").  Next, specify "Text CSV (*.csv,*.txt)" in the
File Type dialogue.  (Note that your selected file will disappear from
the above dialogue box.)  Click "Open" and OOCalc will open the file.

Doesn't seem intuitive to me at all but it does work.  On the other
hand, it's probably quicker to 'mv foo foo.csv; oocalc foo.csv' than
it is to scroll through the File Type dialogue.

Claude