[Tfug] Re: New phone/provider...

scorpio1025 scorpio1025 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 09:21:13 MST 2006

> Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:56:35 -0700
> From: rubinson at u.arizona.edu (Claude Rubinson)
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] New phone/provider...
> To: tfug at tfug.org
>
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 04:26:38PM -0700, Adrian wrote:
>
>>I'll probably go T-Mobile as there plans seem resonable ($30/mon for
>>my current equivelent Sprint plan plus $6 for unlimited data) and
>>they will unlock phones/fine with alternative phones. Is there
>>something else I should be looking at for a phone/provider
>>combination?
>

> I just went through evaluating new phone/plan combinations and large
> reviews (see, e.g., Consumer Reports for a report from just a couple
> of months ago) consistently rate Verizon first and T-Mobile second in
> terms of quality, customer support, etc.  T-Mobile is definitely more
> geek friendly.  Cingular (the other GSM provider) consistently is
> rated last.
>
> So, if you're looking at GSM, the choice is simple: go with T-Mobile.
>
> Claude
>

> ------------------------------

Verizon has good coverage, and the customer service is so-so. They have
a reputation for altering the OS, making the menus clumsy to use, and
removing features from the phones they sell. For example, with the
Motorola RAZR, the phone supports MP3 and Bluetooth, and Verizon removes
those features. I don't know why, but the complaints are pretty
consistent that Verizon phones are harder to use and lacking in
features. Plus, as Claude said, Verizon doesn't use GSM.

I know a number of folks using Cingular, and they all regret it.

 From what I've read, Motorola phones are the most "geek-friendly".

- Francois