[Tfug] New phone/provider...

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Feb 8 16:26:38 MST 2006

<rant>
OK, so I am absolutely disgusted with Sprint, despite having an account in
good standing and paid for phone/etc. outright, they have been (what I
consider to be) overcharging me for years with high "taxes and fees" that go
directly into their pocket. Then, in response to my inability to use my phone
as a modem on my laptop (it kept dying with bit errors connecting), they
upgraded the flash, making my phone even less useful, and said they couldn;t
even test the data function... Now it seems that they have completely disabled
data service on my phone, my phone says it's in data mode, calls the number,
and then immediately drops the call as soon as Dakotacom's modem picks up. (I
can voice call the modem just fine.)

In the mean time, they have been stuffing adverspam in every months bill
telling me how much I'll "save" by renewing my contract with a new phone and
$60/mon bill, as opposed to my current $40+ bill.

So... I'm looking for a new provider and a new phone.... Why is it so hard to
find a cell phone with decent battery life?!?!? I couldn;t care less about
cameras or video or MP3s. Where the hell are the PHONES???
</rant>

My requirement are simple:
1) A GSM phone, something I can use and or buy unlocked, possibly to pull the
SIM card for use in a dedicated modem.
2) Good battery life. 6+ hours talk time, ~2 weeks standby (Why is it that
people accept 2-3 hour talk times and recharges every 3-5 days?!?!).
3) Ability to use as a modem/network connection for my laptop.
4) A headset jack... (What is the purpose of a BT headset besides cutting the
already sucky battery life in half?).
5) Something relatively well built, that can stand being dropped.
6) Preferrably something with uploadable ringtones so I can load something
less annoying.

These requirements ought to be very simple, yet all I can find is phones with
craploads of features I'll never use and ~3 hour battery life... The phones
available through providers completely miss these marks. Of the general
aftermarket phones, the following Ive found seem closet but don;t meet all
the requirements (all Motorola):

RAZR V3 - Decent battery life ~5 hours, seems well built based on customer
reviews, no headset, one other problem I can;t seem to remember now.

SLVR L7 - Same as the V3, but no headset, ringtone/etc. only accepted in
iTunes format.

V190 - The new update of the V18x models (said to be of poor quality in
reviews). Seems to meet most/all of my requirements, claimed talk time of 10
hours and 3 weeks standby! But several reviews say it sucks at 2-3 hours.

V360 - Seems to meet most requirements, claimed talk time of 7 hours can that
be true? Only 10 days claimed standby. Has EDGE data format instead of GPRS
that T-Mobile supports, but T-Mobile does have it as an available model on
website?

I'll probably go T-Mobile as there plans seem resonable ($30/mon for my
current equivelent Sprint plan plus $6 for unlimited data) and they will
unlock phones/fine with alternative phones. Is there something else I should
be looking at for a phone/provider combination?

Adrian