[Tfug] Linux? Debian? Kubuntu?

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Thu Feb 2 15:58:29 MST 2006

Harry McGregor wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> As much as I probably should not be saying this publicly...
>
> I would recommend avoiding the online computing classes at Pima.  The
> reviews I have seen from students leave a lot to be desired.  The 137
> should not be that bad, as it's not an entirely hands on class.
>
> I have never been able to understand how they can teach what I cover in
> 225 and 226 without the students ever logging into a linux server, yet
> along installing one, and having root privileges.

I have to agree with Harry here!  Not having root privileges on a server
is a bitch.  I don't know how you can possibly learn what you need to know.

In the CIS 137 class that I'm taking, even Louis doesn't have root
privileges so he has to ask the sys admin to add printers, install
programs, etc.

I'm taking the CIS 136 "build a computer" class online to satisfy a
requirement.  If I didn't have a couple or four old machines laying
around to mess with, it would be difficult.

Get yourself a cheap clone and download a distro of Debian.  You'll
learn more by actually installing it and learning the various programs.

There is a new "Bible" book that covers Sarge pretty well but any book
will be six months out of date by the time it's published.

If you run into problems, ask questions.  Remember, Google is your friend.

Pick a project then start searching Google for howtos.  Harry doesn't
like Postfix but I learned an incredible amount about it from Google.

Enough to set up a MySql database for users and virtual domains, and
install Clamav and Spamassasin along with Mailman.

I've learned more in the last year from those guys than I ever thought
possible.  Don't ask how old I am, but I'm not your 20 something gamer.

George Cohn