[Tfug] Boot Failure

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 15:21:56 MST 2006

> I know that this is very off topic but I am
> desperate. I plugged an
> illuminated keyboard into a usb slot on my wife's
> computer, and now it
> won't boot even after switching the keyboard back.
> It stalls right after
> the drive lights flash but before the video comes
> up, there is no beep
> at all. I am at a total loss. If anyone has a
> suggestion I would
> appreciate hearing it.

Does it still light up?  (i.e. to verify power to the
USB port is still available, etc.)

Since the drive lights flash -- and, presumably, are
NOT flashing an "error code" (i.e. just flashing once
to signify that the drive has been probe()'ed) -- and
presumably spin up (?), I suspect the power supply is
OK (+5 & +12 used by the drives).

I would imagine something in your BIOS has now
switched
the "keyboard device" to the USB port.  (the keyboard
may or may not be working to allow the boot to go...)

Try unplugging the keyboard and booting with a PS2
keyboard.  Then, lean on whatever keys you need to
bring up your BIOS screen and examine any settings
that are suggestive of being related to the keyboard.

Try holding a key DOWN during boot (in the hope of
getting a "keyboard error" or some other way to
attract the machine's attention to the keyboard,
etc.).

If still unresponsive, try pulling all the memory
Most modern BIOS's will complain -- audibly -- if no
memory found.  Unfortunately, many aren't smart
enough to be able to *do* anything besides complain
when faced with no memory  :<  (i.e. this is just
to see if the machine is aware of its surroundings)

Last resort, clear CMOS.

HTH,
--don