[Tfug] synchronizing databases (postgres)

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 08:51:44 MST 2006

I know replication is built into commercial DBs like oracle, and I
have worked on products like this for commercial dbs.  However, I
don't know much about postgres. I would search for "postgres
replication", maybe that will give some hits.  Or look up Oracle's
terminology for it, and google for similar terms + postrgres.

Failing that, you could take an incremental backup strategy, if
postgres support that.  I mean to take a full backup of the current DB
(which presumably can be done while the db is online).  Then, restore
that backup to the new db.  Then, take the old db down, do an
incremental backup from the time of the full backup (which should be
faster), then restore that incremental backup to the new server.
Might not work, but an idea...

-- chad