[Tfug] OT - Telemarketing calls with fraudulent caller ID

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri Aug 25 18:19:06 MST 2006

Jeremy D Rogers wrote:

> I think the thought of paying that much to avoid the telemarketers
> would piss me off as much as getting the calls.

Umm, yes but it does drastically reduce the solicitations from the
telemarketers and "for hire" folks that solicit for organizations.  The
only sales calls I get now are from Qwest!  ;-(

Or since this in a Linux/BSD list, just build an Asterisk box.  It has a
cool feature called "Zapateller" which can be used to play the Special
Information Tones (SIT) that tell you a number is disconnected.  Just
set it to play if the caller ID is unknown and then wait a few seconds,
then ring your phone.

Most predictive dialers and such will remove a number from their list if
they hit a SIT tone as they think it is not a working number.  ;-)

George Cohn