[Tfug] OT - Telemarketing calls with fraudulent caller ID

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Fri Aug 25 11:39:52 MST 2006

On 8/25/06, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I did when it first came out, but that was my home number.
> Plus, I pay qwest $6/month to have the "hang up if you are a
> telemarker" message, which works well.  I need to register my cell
> phone, too, I guess.

I think the thought of paying that much to avoid the telemarketers
would piss me off as much as getting the calls.

> However, this is the first time I've ever had a problem with my cell
> phone.  Why do cell phones tend not to get telemarketers, other than
> this?  This seems to be the only one that has gotten through, and it

It has always been illegal to telemarket to a cell phone. I think this
is because incoming calls are not free for cell phones. I do
occasionally (2-3 times per year) get a call from a telemarketer on my
cell, and I interrupt to tell the person that this is my cell phone.
Without exception the caller always apologizes and tells me they will
flag my number for removal frlom their list. Unlike a request to
remove from a land line, I've never had a repeat caller on my cell
after saying this. It's actually tempted me to start lying and saying
they've reached a cell even on a land line, but I don't have one
anymore.