[Tfug] Dual cores and hyperthreading

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Aug 19 20:18:07 MST 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 02:39:27PM -0700, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I've got a hardware question about dual cores and hyperthreading.  My new
>laptop has a core duo chip inside.  To utilize both cores, all you need is a
>SMP kernel.  Easy enough.

Thanks for the responses.  The info about the possible data leak between
virtual threads was most interesting.  I seem to have missed that from
before.

Anyway, after some more Googling I didn't get anywhere.  I aksed on
#kernelnewbies and a friendly soul there had an answer.  While the base
architecture (Pentium 4) supports hyperthreading, this particular model (Core
Duo) only has a single thread per CPU.  So, the net result is two CPUs and no
hyperthreading.

I added a page to the kernelnewbies FAQ wiki so hopefully Google will have an
answer the next time around.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.