[Tfug] Anyone familiar with the Familiar or Intimate distributions?

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 12:58:30 MST 2006

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the TFUG mailing list, so allow me to introduce
myself:  My name is Jude Nelson, and I was once a student of Mr. Louis Taber
at Pima.  He got me interested in Linux, and once I installed it, I've never
looked back.

Speaking of installation, I have an iPAQ h3600 on which I've installed
Familiar linux (a Debian derivative designed for iPAQs that fits into the
unit's 16 MB flash memory), and am trying to install Intimate linux
(essentially, ARM-based Debian designed for embedded systems, which boots
off of a CompactFlash card from the PDA's CF sleeve).  Unfortunately, the
Intimate project has been dead for some time now (i.e. outdated software and
documentation), but I've managed to get *some* components working.  My goal
is to get GPE up and running on top of Intimate.  I already have the base
system running, a miniature X server running, a touchscreen driver, as well
as the matchbox window manager (as well as its panel and desktop
components).  Unfortunately, I can't launch programs yet...still working on
that.  Does anyone else have any experience with Familiar or Intimate?  Any
reply would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jude Nelson