[Tfug] Asterisk

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Tue Aug 15 09:57:20 MST 2006

Steven Bowers wrote:

>I have been tinkering with Asterisk a bit lately and have started to
>develop an interest in deploying a dedicated box for the task. To that
>end I have looked at Via EPIA boards with a harddrive or a Soekris and
>CF running AstLinux. I like the later since it has no moving parts and
>consumes a mere 5 watts! However, its lone PCI slot is a 3.3 volt which
>would not accept a Digium X100p card.

Depends on how much cpu power you need for what you are doing.

The X100p card is a little old, and problematic.  I would look at using
an external device such as the SPA-3000 from Linksys/Sipura.  It's 1 FXO
1 FXS so you will be able to hook it up to your analog line, etc.

>Has anyone run across s low voltage, embedded board that could run Asterisk?
>
>My goal would be something that fits in a 1U case, is reasonably quiet
>(since it may sit in the same room as me) and does not cost $1000 when
>fully assembled.

For boards I would look at these:

lower end (DDR - PC2100, though you should be able to use PC3200)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153045

higher end (DDR2, with a fan)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153048

higher end (DDR2, no fan)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153050

CF to IDE converter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822998002

DC/DC power supply setup, look at the Pico PSU, in 60, 80, or 120 Watt:
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=10&currency=2

All you need now is to figure out the case...

Here is a part list I would work off of myself (some items above are
just not needed for this)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153045
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820171104
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141307