[Tfug] cell phones and bluetooth audio

t takahashi gambarimasu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 17:02:45 MST 2006

On 8/14/06, John Gruenenfelder <johng at as.arizona.edu> wrote:
> If I understand, you want all the voice traffic routed through your PC where
> it will then be recorded and then forwarded to your headset so you can still
> communicate?

or maybe the phone can transmit to headset and pc simultaneously, for
example.  i am new to combining phones with computers using bt or usb,
so i don't know what is easiest or cheapest.  even if i ditch the
headset and just record, it would be an improvement.

restating the question to be sure you got it right, as you just did,
would be a good way to do things on tfug and other foss fora going
forward.  a study of confidence versus competence has demonstrated
that people who are not the most competent are the most likely to
think that they are.

> I use a BT headset with my laptop for making VoIP calls.  I've read a bit of
> the docs and mailing list traffic for bluez (the Linux BT stack).  I have
> not
> read of anybody doing anything quite that fancy, but based on what I know of
> the tools, it seems like it should be possible to hack something like this
> together.

i will happily glue command line programs together or install a
module, but if it involves spending hours debugging kernel modules or
keeping up with where to find them, then it's not an option.  from
your reading, would you say that "hack something together" is more
like the former or more like the latter?

> The tools are not particularly user friendly, but they do work.  Because BT

to me, a scriptable command line program is more user friendly than a
gnome/kde app.  i'm a little unusual that way.  did you meant that
they are like the former?

--
Webmaster: do you believe that people will (a) switch browsers to view
your "best viewed with" page or (b) go to your competitor?