[Tfug] Fvwm2 rc mouse configuration

JD Rogers jdrogers at email.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 24 15:28:06 MST 2006

On 4/24/06, Adrian <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
> Anybody have a good handle on Fvwm2 configuration? I am trying to disable
> secondary mouse buttons in a users local .fvwm2 configuration but I can't get
> it to work... I also want to disable some key combinations as well, but
> haven;t tried that yet as I can;t get this to work.

Hmmm.. fvwm2, its been sooo long. I'm pretty sure as an undergrad, I
spent more time customizing fvwm2 than actually doing any work on my
computer.

> I have a custom .fvwm2 for a kiosk that starts a bare window manager (no title
> bars/menus/etc.) for displaying information windows. The user shouldn;t be
> able to access functions, only use the active area of the displayed window
> (if available). I am trying to disable button 2 (and others) so users can't
> access secondary app menus, but it isn;t working.

I could be wrong, but this seems like a bad way to limit a user.
Assuming there are reasons you don't want to go with the already
available kiosk software available out there, I would go lower than
fvwm2 to limit keys. Maybe xmodmap, for example (or if you can make
heads or tails of xkbd).  Then you can test what is coming through
with xev.

Other than that, you might try changing the 'nop' to some action so
you can test that the user config is not being overridden by the
global.
Cheers,
JDR