[Tfug] Laptop choices

Benjamin Krein superbenk at superk.org
Tue Apr 18 14:45:00 MST 2006

ebenblues wrote:
> -T41p supports resolutions higher than 1024x768 on the laptop screen.

I had a debate about this last year with some friends as I was looking
for a new laptop and couldn't afford much.  My previous laptop had
1400x1050 resolution (a ThinkPad A31) and now my new laptop (HP Pavilion
dv1245cl) has 1280x768 resolution.  Let me just say, go for the hi-res
whenever you can!!!  1280x768 is definitely adequate and the screen I
have now (14.1" wide screen vs. a 15" 4:3 on the IBM) is really vivid,
but the higher resolution made a HUGE difference in both clarity and
screen real estate.
> -T41 has hard drive shock protection (if the laptop is shaken or falls, it will stop reading/writing to the hard drive to prevent internal damage). You probably won't get this feature running linux, unfortunately.

I believe this is a hardware feature, not software.  I could be wrong,
but I'm pretty confident it's hardware.  Research this.  It's a very
cool feature.
> -T41 includes a touchpad mouse in case you can't stand the TrackPoint mouse stick.

My new laptop has the trackpad and I miss the mouse nub on the ThinkPad
terribly.  I find the trackpad a major annoyance and distracting.  My HP
even has a feature where I can turn it on/off with a button, but I
rarely remember too so I keep hitting it with the palm of my hand when I
type.
> -T41 built-in wireless adapter supports 802.11a/b/g (T23 only does 802.11a/b).

One possible downside to built-in wifi is that sometimes the reception
may not be as good as a card.  I've heard of it going either way
though.  Again, I could be all wrong about this.

Finally, another feature to look for on the ThinkPads (again, I miss
this on my HP) is the little keyboard light built into the screen
bezel.  It's hard to imagine how a tiny little light like that can be
SOOOO useful!  I'm a fairly good typist, but in the dark I still find
I'm having a hard time squinting for the odd placement of some special
keys on a laptop keyboard.  The light helped this SOOO much!!

Ok, really, finally, the UltraBay in the ThinkPads is pretty handy too.
The components in my HP are screwed in and not meant to be modular at
all.  I can really see the advantage of the UltraBay if you have the
cash to buy either a floppy (yes, they are still handy from time to
time) or an extra battery, etc.  I'm not sure how the T-series handles
this because they are so thin, but it was a nice feature on my A31.
> Hope that helps,
> James
>

> "When I ponder my mind
> I consistently find