[Tfug] SUSE Grub problem

Earl J Violet earljviolet at juno.com
Tue Apr 18 08:05:35 MST 2006

Last evening/night I attempted to install FreeSUSE 10.0.

Here are the machine specs:

dual PII 300
Video = S3 Trio 32/64
Monitor = IBM P200
Sound = Creative Audio PCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)
Ethernet = D-Link DFE-530TX-PCI
CD ROM = BTC BCE 1610M
hard drive = ST320413A

The hard drive is labeled 20 GB so is probably about 18 Real GB. The BIOS
(AMI) only recognizes 8000 MB or so of it. I have Win2K installed on this
partition. I installed SUSE on the remaining in 3 partitions / = 2GB,
swap = 1 GB, /usr = 7GB.

I ran the install and it went fine. It recognized all of the hardware and
configured the sound card ... so it said.

But it didn't find the DSL ... UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, and WIN2K found it OK and
hooked up. I tried configuring DSL but blew it. No problem there though.
It also claimed to configure the boot loader.

I rebooted and came up with a text Grub prompt. I typed in boot and it
booted to SUSE. OK. I rebooted and couldn't get to Win2K. Rebuilt the MBR
to get to Win2K.

I followed, or tired to follow the SUSE manual. I previously installed
SUSE on hdb with KUBUNTU on hda on a different machine and got a real
nice selection menu for SUSE or UBUNTU. hdb was dying which gave me
problems with SUSE and DSL didn't want to configure then either.

Earl

We have traded the wisdom of the ancestors for the superstition of
science.
Nirvana is this world itself, when experienced without desire and fear.