[Tfug] (Revisited) Cisco Study Materials

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Sun Apr 16 16:37:58 MST 2006

Jon,

> Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 01:11:17 -0700 (MST)
> From: "Jon" <bigj at tfug.org>
> Subject: [Tfug] (Revisited) Cisco Study Materials
> To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
>
> Claude Rubinson said:
>> > I think it would be nice to replace the Links page with a list of
>> > local Tucson events/groups: other User's groups such as Chris'
>> > graphics design group, the UofA Hacks club, the Perl group that meets
>> > occasionally, etc.  I think that would be a really nice service.  I'd

I think links to other like-minded/purpose groups is very useful. I'd
like to expand on that -- see below.

> It appears some people are interested in redesigning the site. Thanks god.
> I lack any ability to think creatively let alone imagine what I'll be
> doing tomorrow.
>
> I would like to throw in a few of my ideas:
>
> 1) I'd like to see a new logo. No ideas other than that.
> 2) It was suggested the 'helpdesk' go away. I'd like to keep it as it does
> give google more things to index on.

I'd like to see a 'help' desk or wiki for TFUG list members to be
members of the editing group, but open to the public -- expand with
little how-to articles we create/take from our personal pages, etc.

> 3) Move the list archives in to something more searchable. I think Mhonarc
> was suggested a long time ago.
> 4) A link for other local vendors/groups is a great idea. Bravo.
>
> Any other ideas?

* Some way to promote community outreach?

* List the ways TFUG members help out with technology in the community.

* Promote an INSTALLFEST to encourage users to try out Linux/BSD. I know
we do the BYOB at PCC, but can we promote it more? Through Tucson PC
Club? Flyers to middle schools/high schools and PCC campuses?

* Set up a speakers panel list for TFUG members to speak at high schools
for computer clubs, programming classes, web design classes. I've done a
presentation and Q&A for the advanced web design students at my high
school and made Ubuntu LiveCD/Install CD packs available to take home.

My $0.02 worth.

-*-Bill