[Tfug] Cox cable networking problem

Louis Taber ltaber at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 22:11:25 MST 2006

Hi,

I agree.  I am not going there!  I do have an D-Link wireless router.  It
will do the trick.

It seems like a bit of a shame that what can be done with a few lines of
configuration in Linux seem close to impossible under MS Windows.  (The
single interface with two subnets, one DHCP and the other non-routed
fixed.)   I don't have any intention, desire, or ambition to learn enough MS
Windows network administration to find out if I am right!

Further research seems to indicate that the SB5120 really does do NAT and
DHCP, just under the (total?) control of the cable company.  I haven't found
any clear indications as to what it does with incoming requests when there
are multiple IP interfaces on the Ethernet port.  I may find out.  I will
probably try connecting my VoIP box directly to the network between the
cable modem and the wireless router.  The phrasing copied from the SB5120's
web page (below) seem to indicate that they may both get external IP
addresses.

I do get a web page on 192.168.100.1 that indicating that the SB5120 does do
DHCP.  (Also see below.)
My un-initialized, never connected to COX SB5120 currently refuses SSH and
telnet connection requests to 192.168.100.1.  I will need to wait till after
Thursday appointment with COX to see how things change.

=======================================
DHCP Server Enabled
The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a
maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is
disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned
IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned
from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with
192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the
LAN should be chosen from outside of this range
=======================================

Notice that the page doesn't say what happens when the cable modem is
connected to the Internet.  Curious!
There are NO configuration pages.  Just the ability to reset the cable
modem.   - Louis

On 4/11/06, Gordon Zaft <gordonzaft at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Don't go there.  Just don't.  I had the same setup as
> you and I just stuck an old AMD K5-PR200 box on the
> SurfBoard and ran Smoothwall on it.  SW is easy, no
> fuss, no muss, does DHCP and NAT and FW for you and of
> course it's free.  If you can't get an old box for
> free then you aren't trying :-).

I have too many old boxes already.  I am NOT trying to get any more --OR-- I
am trying NOT to get any more!  <grin>