[Tfug] Cox cable networking problem

Gordon Zaft gordonzaft at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 19:20:32 MST 2006

 Don't go there.  Just don't.  I had the same setup as
you and I just stuck an old AMD K5-PR200 box on the
SurfBoard and ran Smoothwall on it.  SW is easy, no
fuss, no muss, does DHCP and NAT and FW for you and of
course it's free.  If you can't get an old box for
free then you aren't trying :-).

--- Louis Taber <ltaber at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I guess it is coming down to a network question.
> The Motorola SurfBoard, as
> I now understand it is, well, not very clever.
> Perhaps the 64 computer
> limit is just an internal NIC list limit used for
> filtering packets coming
> in from the outside interface to be passed through
> the cable modem.  (I had
> initially made the assumption that it was a limit on
> its NAT or DHCP
> ability.)
>
> Anyway my home network has:  Linux, Mac, and Windows
> computers.  A VoIP box
> and an HP print server.  (With occasional thoughts
> about Maxim TINIs,
> Lantronix X-ports, and Sun Ultras.)  I don't expect
> any trouble with getting
> DHCP addresses from COX for the computers and the
> VoIP box, but what is the
> best way to handle the print server?
>
> My inclination is to set up a non-routed network on
> the same physical LAN.
> Setting up my Linux system will be little problem.
> How do-able is it under
> MS Window and Mac?  Is this a reasonable approach?
> Any other suggestions?

------
Gordon Zaft
zaft at zaft.org