[Tfug] DSL modem of choice?

Richard Rohrdanz rrohrdanz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 15:00:54 MST 2006

I decided to let Qwest install ($59.95) the whole DSL package. They worked
on it for two hours and got through at 7:00pm last night. I have a LAN with
two Windows XP boxes, a Linux box, two TiVo wireless devices and an XP
laptop. They, of course, wouldn't touch my network but I wanted to be able
to blame them for any outside problems including the choice of modem.

The DSL rides on top of my residence phone line. I got a long distance phone
call this morning that sounded terrible. There was a high-pitched chirp on
the line after each word that I spoke. I was happy that I didn't have to
troubleshoot that problem so I called Qwest tech support. The installers
told me that they installed the proper filters so that was eliminated. After
they had my line checked they surmised (guessed?) that it was caused by the
caller's long distance carrier. I have had several other calls on the same
line with no further problems.

I live way back in the Tucson mountains. I had to wait for two years to get
a fully functional ISDN line (128KB) and five months to get DSL (limited to
1536KB) but I'm a fairly happy camper now.