[Tfug] Linux Training

Joel Howard johord at gainusa.com
Fri Jul 15 07:43:50 MST 2005

Along with my own Linux mentor, Pat Legg, I've completed one "lesson
plan" for absolute newbies (which I'm not too far from being myself).
My background is in secondary education, Pat's is more technical, and
we're hoping to aim our business at training and support (when it rains
hardware).  I tend to "overplan" with fully stated objectives, support
activities, etc. (comes from too much crowd control while teaching high
school).
My "plan" is partially stolen from Harry's use of Knoppix in his PCC
classes.  Depending on what kind of a teaching or lab setup is present,
it could take as little as an hour, but probably two.  With a copy of
Knoppix running on PCs that can boot it, my objectives for students are:

-Be able to explain in your own words how open source software differs
from closed source software.

-Be able to exercise enough command line savvy to boot Knoppix, open a
terminal, utilize basic commands    to navigate directory structure (
ls, cd cd /, cd .. , man, cat, whatis, apropos, shutdown , etc.),
recognize the functions of the directories in a basic Linux root
directory tree, and be able to "get out" using shutdown or reboot.

I like Knoppix because you can teach in windows labs if the CDs boot.
If a locale has DSL or something other than dialup, I'd have students
visit FSF.org, Linux.org, OpenOffice.org, osef.org, (and others, time
permitting?) to give them a dose of advocacy and understanding of the
open source concept.  The play with Knoppix is more a teaser than
anything else.  I keep running into people who don't have a clue what a
live CD is or what the implications of open source licensing are.  My
own bias would be to put a lot of advocacy into early work with people
who are REALLY new to Linux, especially if they intend to stick with
it.  As a former government teacher and rights advocate, I can see that
most users (non-Linux, non-BSD) have no concept of their operating
system being tied to how they get info, what info they can get, or who
can control that flow (we users or the monopolists?).  I think a lot of
people would give up their basic rights (privacy, free press, freedom of
information) for prettier wallpaper, more chrome on their KIA, or for an
ice cream cone.  Enough of my advocacy bias...

If your students are already somewhat knowledgeable, there really is no
substitute for Harry's classes at Pima CC.  For me he's been the best,
and just about the only, ball game in town.
If anyone wants a copy of the lesson plan described above, let me know
and I'll mail you a copy.
Thanks for listening!
JH