[Tfug] Somebody else's firewll

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Tue Jul 12 18:50:54 MST 2005

Erich,
  Some thoughts about firewall options:

>       I'm talking about the average consumer who wants to subscribe to
> cable or DSL. They
> provide a box that comes with the installation, (or so I understand),
> that stops unauthorized
> connections to your box(es) on the other side.
>
>       I'm building up a box in my shop right now and I wonder if it's
> worth the effort to install
> two NIC's such that I have a barrier between me and the cable/DSL company.

I've had an old, low-end PC running Smoothwall (http://smoothwall.org)
in front of the PCs at home off a Cox cable modem. The Windows boxes
have been patched on a regular basis, but never any problems with any of
the worms, IP floods, etc. Smoothwall is fabulous: firewall (IP_Tables),
proxy (Squid), IDS (Snort), VPN, SSH. All of the post-install
configuration and log viewing/options setting is done via a network
logon to a great set of web pages. It's free, a small download, has a
great support community, good documentation, and did I mention it's FREE?
If you're going to do the PC with dual NICs, I highly recommend
Smoothwall as a serious contender.

-*-Bill