[Tfug] Mount Question

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Wed Jul 13 08:25:11 MST 2005

At 05:50 PM 7/12/2005 -0700, Adrian wrote:
>As Paul said, add the "noauto" option to your fstab. You could also add a
>"user" option to the fstab entry as well.... That allows any normal user to
>mount/unmount that drive without special priviledges... a simple
>"mount /<mount_path>" to mount it when you need it.

Well, "noauto" worked but "user" did not.  Had to either become su or use
sudo to mount the filesystems.  Minor issue, but it really should work.
I'm on FC3 running the latest kernel.

Another minor issue - when mounted in this fashion I get icons on the
desktop for each mounted volume.  Not a big deal (I can always ignore
them), but is there some way to get these to not show up on the desktop,
perhaps some obscure option to mount?

Jim