[Tfug] OT: Computer recommendations

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Sat Jul 9 16:03:29 MST 2005

On 8 Jul 2005 at 18:11, Ellen K. Martin  wrote:

> This is OT because I need hardware recommendations... but the systems need to run Windbloze....
>
> I'm helping a dental office in Naco, Mexico get set up with 4 computers (1 "server"/workstation, 3 workstations).
>
> The requirements are:
>
> Network Server (Image Storage)
> MINIMUM
> Windows 2000 Professional / 2003 Server / XP Professional
> TCP/IP Networking Protocols
> 512 RAM
> 20 GB Hard Disk
> RECOMMENDED
> Windows 2000 Professional / 2003 Server / XP Professional
> TCP/IP Networking Protocols
> 1 GB RAM or higher
> 80 GB Hard Disk or higher
>

> Standalone / Network Client (Image Storage)
> MINIMUM
> Windows 98 SE / 2000 Professional / XP Professional
> Intel Pentium III (800 MHz or higher)
> 128 MB RAM
> USB Port
> Intel PCI to USB Controller
> 20 GB Hard Disk
> RECOMMENDED
> Windows 98 SE / 2000 Professional / XP Professional
> Intel Pentium 4
> 256 MB RAM or higher
> USB Port
> Intel PCI to USB Controller
> 80 GB Hard Disk or higher
>

> Database (Patient / Image Information)
> Microsoft Access, SQL Server, or Sybase SQL Anywhere
>

> Can anyone recommend inexpensive/barebones computer systems?  I'd
> rather not have to build them myself, but if I need to get a barebones
> system and put in the CD-Rom, HD, OS, etc, that would be ok.  The 3
> workstations will only be used for acquiring dental images and
> displaying them to the patient, so they don't need much.  The "server"
> will be used to store the images and will be used by the front office
> for word processing, etc.  They have a Gateway computer that I might
> be able to upgrade for this purpose to keep the costs down.  It is a
> 2.4ghz P4 with 256mb ram, xp home, nic, DVD, CD-RW, and 2 USB ports.
> I'd like to keep the workstation prices under $400 w/OS if possible.
> A small form-factor for the workstations would be nice because they
> will be in the exam rooms.  We'll be mounting 15" lcd monitors on an
> arm that can swing out of the way for the exam, but be brought to the
> chair to show the patient stuff.

For that budget you're going to have problems.  The system specs for CDR [1]
require Win2000Pro/XPPro at the workstations, and they also require specific
video-capture cards (more $$) at the workstations unless they use the USB
cameras.  XP Pro alone is >$150, and if they're planning to have Internet
connectivity at the workstations M$ is no longer security-patching earlier
products.
  [1] http://www.schicktech.com/items.php?catid=508

Geeks.com have some refurbs that _might_ fit your budget with some stretching.
http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=SYS
They have a new SFF box for $199, but you'll need more parts to flesh it out:
"Albatron ABox 865G Socket 478 Barebone System (Black)"
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ABOX-865G-WB-N&cat=SYS

NewEgg.com has a number of SFF barebones for under $200, but at that price
they're refurbs; see http://tinyurl.com/baoyu - full URL, which will probably
wrap, is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO&Range=1&bop=and&description=barebones&order=price

If budget is the controlling factor, you'll probably have to go full-sized.  I'd
put more RAM in both workstations (at least 512mb) and the server (2gb if you're
running SQL server) than even the "recommended" specs you quoted above.

> The system/software they will be using for image acquisition is Shick
> CDR (http://www.schicktech.com/items.php?catid=3).   They also have a
> couple CDs with pictures and info on dental procedures.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.

HTH

Angus
--