[Tfug] OT: Computer recommendations

Ellen K. Martin penguin at plus.nu
Fri Jul 8 18:11:13 MST 2005

This is OT because I need hardware recommendations... but the systems need to run Windbloze....

I'm helping a dental office in Naco, Mexico get set up with 4 computers (1 "server"/workstation, 3 workstations).

The requirements are:

Network Server (Image Storage)
MINIMUM
Windows 2000 Professional / 2003 Server / XP Professional
TCP/IP Networking Protocols
512 RAM
20 GB Hard Disk
RECOMMENDED
Windows 2000 Professional / 2003 Server / XP Professional
TCP/IP Networking Protocols
1 GB RAM or higher
80 GB Hard Disk or higher

Standalone / Network Client (Image Storage)
MINIMUM
Windows 98 SE / 2000 Professional / XP Professional
Intel Pentium III (800 MHz or higher)
128 MB RAM
USB Port
Intel PCI to USB Controller
20 GB Hard Disk
RECOMMENDED
Windows 98 SE / 2000 Professional / XP Professional
Intel Pentium 4
256 MB RAM or higher
USB Port
Intel PCI to USB Controller
80 GB Hard Disk or higher

Database (Patient / Image Information)
Microsoft Access, SQL Server, or Sybase SQL Anywhere

Can anyone recommend inexpensive/barebones computer systems?  I'd rather not have to build them myself, but if I need to get a barebones system and put in the CD-Rom, HD, OS, etc, that would be ok.  The 3 workstations will only be used for acquiring dental images and displaying them to the patient, so they don't need much.  The "server" will be used to store the images and will be used by the front office for word processing, etc.  They have a Gateway computer that I might be able to upgrade for this purpose to keep the costs down.  It is a 2.4ghz P4 with 256mb ram, xp home, nic, DVD, CD-RW, and 2 USB ports.  I'd like to keep the workstation prices under $400 w/OS if possible.  A small form-factor for the workstations would be nice because they will be in the exam rooms.  We'll be mounting 15" lcd monitors on an arm that can swing out of the way for the exam, but be brought to the chair to show the patient stuff.

The system/software they will be using for image acquisition is Shick CDR (http://www.schicktech.com/items.php?catid=3).   They also have a couple CDs with pictures and info on dental procedures.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Ellen