[Tfug] Debian struggling with security

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 8 03:05:46 MST 2005

Quoting Matthew Eskes <meskes at azcomputercentral.com>:
> As far as 2.4 not feeling "right" I would like to have more
> explaination on that since, I started out on the 2.2 kernel line and thought
> that the 2.4 line was very nice and straight forward in configuration and
> complation.

The VM problems in early 2.4.x (x < 20) is what bugged me.  Things like
memory not being reclaimed, page zone hacks, swapper and cache
problems.  The 2.4/2.6 release cycle didn't help either.  I can't
remember seeing so many feature backports as I've seen 2.6 items glued
onto 2.4.  I guess Red Hat is primarily to blame for that one. :)

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.