[Tfug] pcmcia wireless card irq failure

robbinsc at ece.arizona.edu robbinsc at ece.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 1 13:47:36 MST 2005

Ranjan -

I've used an Atheros-based WLAN card (PCI) in my MythBox for quite some
time.  I can't explain exactly the IRQ issues, but I can help explain the
ath0 setup.  One would assume that the madwifi drivers would setup
normally, creating a wlan0 interface.  However, it uses ath0 (ather0s?)
for all relevant setup.  In order to properly configure your card, you'll
have to create a configuration for that card using a text editor.  What I
find is easiest to do is to go into your system setup (I don't know what
distro you're using), and setup wlan0 as if the card is detected and
exists to the system.  From here, cd to /etc/sysconfig/network/ and open
the file "ifcfg-wlan0".  Again, I don't know what distro you are using,
but SuSE uses this file and this directory.  Save the file as "ifcfg-ath0"
and try to stop and restart your network. (or modprobe).  When you reboot,
there should be relevant messages upon startup about the madwifi drivers
initializing.  Check /var/log/messages to see if madwifi starts properly
and initializes.  I know some distros roll madwifi into their driver
database, and the cards are detected and setup automagically.

Hope that helps -

-Chris Robbins