[Tfug] Image custom install onto CD(s)

Eric Cross ecross at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 07:54:07 MST 2005

I have a need to build custom installations of RH Enterprise 4.0
distributions for remote offices.  I'd like to burn the custom install
to 1 or more CDs, ship the CDs out to the remote office and have a
local tech thrown the CDs into identical hardware, boot from CD and
require as little as possible interaction with the installation.
Ideally, they would only be prompted to insert CD1, CD2, etc, and have
all options including disk partitioning, setting root password and so
forth be completed by the installation CDs.

Then after the install completes,  I envision the tech running a
script to allow for hostname, localization, network config, etc. for
final configuration of the system.

I feel this would allow me to create as little confusion as possible
for the remote techs by providing a packet of CDs and a one-page
document of what the tech should do, while at the same time provide a
standard installation across all of our remote offices.

I believe Symantec's Ghost can perform this or similar process for
Windows, but I'm not familiar with any Linux packages that can do the
same.  I do not have the capability to run Kickstart over the network
for any of these installations.

Thanks for any ideas on this folks!

-Eric