[Tfug] Quick Hello to TUFG

Robert Current rob at current.nu
Wed Dec 31 22:00:14 MST 2003

Hi again,

Just to say hi, I'm in town, and wondering what the local Free Unix
scene is like.

(So, stand up and tell us something about yourself)  *ouch*
A little background on me,
I've been a *NIX user since about 1992, starting with some SGI's and CRAYs.
I got into Linux in about 1997, and just played.
I started the editorial section of Freshmeat.net in 1998, and solicited
some big name editorials until late 1999.
Slashdot UID 1725, I usually just flame there, hardly even do that anymore.
Ran current.nu to host open source projects from 1998 until SourceForge
came along.
Long time Linux cheerleader.
I've hacked and modified in C, perl, bash script, php, but really
couldn't code my way out of a paper bag if I had to compared to a real
coder.
I use to work the windowmaker booth at LinuxWorld for a few years, but
haven't lately.
Overcame my IRC addiction in about 1999.

Basically, I'm a chemist, not an IT guru or programmer.  But I still
know a few things, I'm just way out of touch with UNIX lately.  It's
just one of far too many hobbies right now.  But, obviously, I'm pretty
boring or I wouldn't be writing this on New Years Eve... :-(

So, just wanted to say hello, and so, who are you guys?  How big is
TFUG?  Any real hot UNIX gods in town?  Is there any overlap with the
TAPR guys, the seem to be doing some interesting hardware toys?  Where
and when are the meetings, and how many people usually show up?

/rob