[Tfug] Linksys WPC11

Robert J Hunter rhunter at U.Arizona.EDU
Wed Dec 31 11:08:43 MST 2003

I decided to make the wireless plunge at home, and so I picked up a
Linksys W11S4PC11 (WAP + PC card) at BestBuy based on rumors that the
Linksys WPC11 works with both Linux and FreeBSD.  However, the WPC11
v.4 that comes with this package is a based on the Realtek 8180
chipset, and not the friendly open-source-supported PrismII.

Linksys provides a binary driver for the v.4, but it sucks.  After
several hours of poking around I managed to get the thing sort of
working.  But there were still some problems, for instance:

1) not being able to turn off SSID broadcasting on the WAP because the
   driver insisted on scanning.

2) not being able to unload the driver without a reboot.

3) not being able to use airsnort.

Fortunately, Linksys is willing to exchange v.4 for v.3 cards, so I
went ahead and RMA'd the card.  After receiving the v.3 I followed the
recipe at

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-Link-sys-WPC11/

and was up and running in about an hour (including the time to
recompile a kernel on my PII-200 notebook).

-Rob