[Tfug] Transparent Outlook Files With Samba

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Fri Dec 26 19:02:00 MST 2003

On 26 Dec 2003 at 12:00, Mike Martinet  wrote:

> I'm trying to imagine how I would construct a simple (read
> cheap-near-free) solution to this problem.
>
> I have an office and home location, both of which are running Outlook,
> but need to be constantly synchronized.
>
> I'm assuming I can put a Samba server at the office and keep the Outlook
> files on it and then point both of my Outlook clients at the same file.
> Does anyone know if this assumption is valid or if there's another way
> to achieve the same goal?

Not sure if you can really do this as Outlook is tied pretty
tightly to Windows and stores its files in your local
profile directory ("C:\Documents and
Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\*.*)  ....

I'd dump outlook for an opensource (Thunderbird) or free
solution (Pegasus Mail).  I know Pegasus Mail can deal with
this -- I do it myself -- and I'm sure Tbird can as well --
just put the profile on the Samba server.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona