[Tfug] Re: Server Components

Robert J Hunter rhunter at U.Arizona.EDU
Tue Dec 23 15:21:35 MST 2003

Hi.  I have been eavesdropping on this list for a month or so, and
I just wanted to say hello (!) and make some comments about hardware.

1) Tyan MPX w/ dual Athlon MP

We have about fifty of these systems at work (ranging from 1600+ to
2200+ CPUs) in a "beowulf" setup.  Overall I am pleased with these
systems, but a couple issues we have had with them are:

  i) These boards run hot and won't be happy unless they live in a
  well-designed case, air-conditioned room, and have working CPU fans.
  We have had mixed success using the lm-sensors software to monitor
  case-temperature and fan-speed.

  ii) Although these boards are supposed to take up to 3GB RAM (ECC),
  we have had chronic problems with the "high-memory" units (512MB X
  4). The units configured with a single 512MB stick are far more
  reliable.

2) RAID

My advice is to skip the software RAID and get a 3ware controller
instead. Software RAID is slow and not very robust.

Good luck with your project!

-Rob

Harry McGregor scribbled:

----- End forwarded message -----