[Tfug] Knoppix

Anthony Steckman humbl at elitemail.org
Mon Dec 15 02:45:19 MST 2003

Well, I was really only incorrect to the extent that I tried to argue
HTTP transfers were handled in either a binary or an ASCII mode and that
the MIME type would effect this.

I'd still argue that any file type offered on a server should have a
defined MIME type. I can think of at least three ways in which this is
beneficial:

(1) If the end user's client is reporting a content type, the type
reported to the end user is correct,

(2) If the end user's client offeres the ability to configure file
handling behaviors (automatically opening certain file types within
certain applications, for example), then the client will correctly
identify the file type and process it accordingly, and

(3) It helps to prevent confusion.