[Tfug] FWD: RUSSELL PAVLICEK: "The Open Source"

Jeffrey Denton tfug@tfug.org
Wed Sep 18 19:28:02 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Anthony Hess wrote:

> I do think its possible to secure a Windows machine to a great degree - but
> its also more work keeping up with it.

I was always of the opinion that unix was potentially more secure.  You here
about Trusted versions of unix, while NT could only reach C2 after being heavily
modified and disconnected from the network.

> Of course no OS is perfect, but the point is that Oses with less known
> vulnerabilities than Windows were being out of hand refused from the network
> without any kind of real research.

The Army went that direction BECAUSE there were less known vulnerabilities than
NT and IIS.

dentonj