[Tfug] ftpd's for RH7.3

A.Chris Hilton tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 16 00:19:02 2002

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 23:35:33 -0700
steveb7@bblabs.net wrote:

> On 9/15/2002 at 11:19 PM Harry  McGregor wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 steveb7@bblabs.net wrote:
> >
> >> I want to setup an ftpd on my RH7.3 machine to exchange files with
> >> some friends and between home and work.
> >
> >I would strongly suggest ssh and scp, you can get a windows interface
> >for scp called winscp2 (search winscp2.exe on google) that will make
> >it feel like an ftp session)
>
> That was my original plan, but a few friends are "SSH/SCP challenged".
> FTP seemed easier and I thought I would write a rule into PF to permit
> access on that port from specific IP's.

The clients Harry's talking about look just like ftp clients.  Matter of
factually the ftp clients they are using are probably already scp
capable.  Its the future, drag those luddites into the present at least.
 It'll be easier for you to help them figure out how to use ssh than it
will be for you to set up read/write ftp and then ride herd on it.

-C-