[Tfug] ftpd's for RH7.3

Harry McGregor tfug@tfug.org
Sun Sep 15 23:19:01 2002

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 steveb7@bblabs.net wrote:

> I want to setup an ftpd on my RH7.3 machine to exchange files with
> some friends and between home and work.

I would strongly suggest ssh and scp, you can get a windows interface for
scp called winscp2 (search winscp2.exe on google) that will make it feel
like an ftp session)

> Would wuftpd

Bad idea... of the ftp daemons, wuftpd has the worst security record on
the planet...

> allow me to give
> each person a unique username and password, or would I need a
> different program?

Just add them as a user to the system, and they will be able to login via
ftp or ssh or scp.

> The ftp server will be sitting behind my OBSD
> firewall.

I would suggest using scp and ssh, so just forward port 22 through the
firewall.  If you still want to use ftp, you will need to forward ports 20
and 21 through the firewall.

		Harry